Posted May 24th, 2009 | 6 Comments
* IMPORTANT UPDATE June 2011 *
Since writing this article in May 2009 several other apps have appeared that perform similar functions. Although Quickoffice has stood up to the competition well and is still a good app my current recommendation is actually ‘Documents To Go‘
Docs2Go is a Universal app so can be used on iPad too, it’s fast and very stable, here are a few of it’s main features:
• EDIT, CREATE & VIEW Word, Excel & PowerPoint files (Office 2007/2008/2010)
• View PDF, iWork & other files
• iPad/iPhone 4/iOS 4: Send & receive attachments using the built-in Mail app
• Access, view, edit & sync supported files stored in Google Docs, Dropbox, Box.net, iDisk & SugarSync
• Free desktop app (Win & Mac) with 2way file sync (WIFI required)
IPAD, IPHONE 4, IOS 4 SPECIFIC FEATURES
• Open & edit files in DocsToGo from any 3rd party app that supports the “Open In” feature (the built-in Mail app can now open supported attachments in DocsToGo)
• Supports iTunes File Sharing via USB cable for moving files
— Original article —-
There are plenty of iPhone apps out there to open and view Microsoft Office files on your iPhone.
That’s all very well, but what if you want to edit or even create them?
I’ve been looking for an iPhone app to do exactly that for a while, I was actually hoping Microsoft would develop an iPhone version of Microsoft Office themselves. Clearly they have no intention of doing that but there is a great alternative.
QuickWord lets you edit and create new Microsoft Word documents. You can change fonts, font sizes & styles (bold/italic etc..), create lists with bullet points and wait for it… cut & paste!
Cut & Paste???
Yes, you heard it right! Quickoffice have implemented cut & paste to the iPhone before Apple have! It’s not quite as slick as the cut and paste Apple have promised for iPhone 3.0 but it really works!
It also has auto-save and auto-restore features.
QuickSheet is similar to QuickWord but for Excel documents. Again you can edit or create new files, it fully supports even the most advanced Excel features. You can easily adjust column heights & widths or insert new rows/columns.
QuickOffice Files is similar to existing iPhone apps such as Datacase and Filemagnet. It allows you to mount your iPhone as a wireless drive over wi-fi so you can drag and drop files between your iPhone and PC or Mac. You can also view most common filetypes and organise, rename and move them on the iPhone itself.
One of the best features that sets it apart from those similar mentioned apps is the ability to email remote or local files without having to download them! You can also remotely access your iDisk which is very handy.
Overall QuickOffice is a fantastic app for anybody that works with Word & Excel files a lot, it’s obviously not ideal using the iPhone keyboard for large documents but for small changes it’s perfect and I am already using an Excel spreadsheet to help me track business milage whilst i’m out and about.